Thursday, October 27, 2011

I freak people out (aka I'm funny?)

So I will reiterate the title...I freak people out. Sometimes scare them, and sometimes make them laugh in a way that sometimes takes me by surprise.

I've always been on the shy side...especially around people that I don't know very well. I'm not the kind of shy that will avoid talking at all costs, and I don't consider myself to be unfriendly...I'm just not very direct and I don't take a lot of social initiative. People approach me, and I respond.

Now to the story. I can be funny. I don't plan to be, it just happens. Today, some of us went to look for some last minute Halloween costumes and some accessories to wear at a charity walk this weekend. We found a pink wig for the walk (perhaps to be re-purposed into the Halloween costume) and I also purchased some facepaint/make up, including some rotten looking zombie teeth. The first thing that I do upon leaving he store? Put on the wig of course! That just brought laughter to everyone who saw me. Then, back at the lab, I took out the fake teeth. THAT was even crazier!

Is a costume all it takes? I figure the delivery definitely sells it...and just as I let my guard down, and start being hopelessly silly, a few people see me with pink wig, teeth and added eye roll...and are startled, then amused.

Going up to lab meeting, I grabbed the badge hanging around my neck to badge myself though a door. It was still around my neck, and to an observer, it looked like I was tying a noose around my neck. One of the HR people happened to be passing by, and laughed so hard...only mildly funny if you consider the layoffs at my place of employment very recently. In any case, that was about timing, and not intending to make hints into a humorous situation.

But I still freak people out. My position in the lab is sort of a "second in command", and often times other lab members nominate me to approach the boss about something. I have no problem with this, and I'm not fearful...usually. I've (comedically) ended up asking our boss if we could play hookie for a few hours to go see a movie. And it didn't stress me to the slightest...but it did make my lab mates laugh!

Lastly, for this post at least....scaring and funny. And mommy related. One of the biggest (irrational) fears was me going into labor in the lab, or having water break. As things got closer to delivery day, the more nervous other people became. I might as well have delivered in the lab many times over with all of the anticipation. Even though the hospital was literally within sight out of my window.

Since when did I become so strange and funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!